- Private instruction and ensembles require only one audition.
- Students interested in participating in both jazz and classical lessons/ensembles will need to play separate auditions to be considered for both.
- Jazz Ensembles meet weekly for 90-minute coaching sessions.
- Students receive one credit and a letter grade each semester.
- Registration is required.
- A final performance at the end of the semester is required.
Starting in Fall 2017, the lesson fee will be $250 per semester for all students - the second-lowest rate among our peer institutions. Each student will receive six (6) hours of lessons each semester.
SIGN-UP FOR AN AUDITION
- Auditions are during the first week of classes (week of September 8).
- Online audition sign-up will be available AUGUST, 3 weeks before auditions: first Wednesday of the semester for instrumentalists and first Friday of the semester for vocalists.
THE DAY OF
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time to fill out the audition form, tune, and organize your scores.
- Instrumentalists should prepare two jazz standards (a rhythm section will be provided to accompany auditions).
- You will also be asked to demonstrate your sight reading and improvisational skills.
- Vocalists should prepare two selections to show interpretative abilities (improvisation optional).
- Please provide a clear lead sheet with chord changes for the accompanist (a pianist is provided).
- You will receive an email regarding placement, registration, and instructor information--if we are not able to place you with an instructor or ensemble, you will be notified and may be placed on the waitlist.
- If you are placed with an instructor for lessons, you will need to set up a mutually agreeable time to meet during the semester. Your instructor will help you choose repertoire and establish a daily practice routine.
Participation in the MPP is a year-long commitment. All students re-audition each Fall
(no auditions are held in the Spring semester).