- Private instruction and ensembles require only one audition.
- Students interested in participating in both jazz and classical lessons/ensembles will need to play in separate auditions to be considered for both.
- Jazz Ensembles meet weekly for 90-minute coaching sessions.
- Students receive one credit and a letter grade each semester.
- Registration is required.
- A final performance at the end of the semester is required.
SIGN-UP FOR AN AUDITION
- Auditions are during the first week of classes.
- Online audition sign-up will be available in AUGUST, three weeks before auditions: first Wednesday of the semester for instrumentalists and first Friday of the semester for vocalists.
THE DAY OF
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time to fill out the audition form, tune, and organize your scores.
- Instrumentalists should prepare two jazz standards (a rhythm section will be provided to accompany auditions).
- You will also be asked to demonstrate your sight reading and improvisational skills.
- Vocalists should prepare two selections to show interpretative abilities (improvisation optional).
- Please provide a clear lead sheet with chord changes for the accompanist (a pianist is provided).
- You will receive an email regarding placement, registration, and instructor information. If we are not able to place you with an instructor or ensemble, you will be notified and may be placed on the waitlist.
- If you are placed with an instructor for lessons, you will need to set up a mutually agreeable time to meet during the semester. Your instructor will help you choose repertoire and establish a daily practice routine.
Participation in the MPP is a year-long commitment. All students re-audition each Fall
(no auditions are held in the Spring semester).