If you live in a Columbia University dorm, there are twelve 24-hour access practice rooms on-campus for students with CUID. These rooms are first-come, first-serve:
- 6 in Schapiro Hall** / 115th St. between Broadway & Riverside (lower level)
- 3 in Broadway Hall* (keys required) / 556 W. 114th Street (rooms 201, 202, and 203)
- 3 in East Campus* (keys required) / 70 Morningside Dr. (7th, 9th, and 11th floors)
- 7 in Teachers College (available for reservation 7 hours/week; rent fee required) / 525 W. 120th Street -- inquire in 520A Horace Mann
*$30 cash key deposit required, refunded upon return of key at the end of year
**NOTE: As of Fall 2017, we have implemented a new swipe system into Schapiro's practice rooms. Open to CURRENT students, faculty, and staff only. Alumni and non-affiliates are not currently permitted for security and insurance reasons.
To get swipe access to the Schapiro practice rooms:
Monday & Wednesday: Dodge 621, from 1-5pm
Tuesday & Thursday: Dodge 618, from 1-5pm
- Available for public use in Lerner Hall, Wallach Hall, Broadway Hall 14th Floor Lounge, and Wien Hall. Please note that without a dorm sticker (Columbia's undergraduate housing), the only hall accessible via CUID is Lerner Hall.
- 3 in Carman Hall / 545 W. 115th Street: first floor
- 1 in Hogan Hall - Columbia-Juilliard Program students ONLY / 566 W. 114th Street
If you do NOT have a dorm sticker or are living off-campus, the only practice rooms/pianos you can access are in Schapiro Hall and Lerner Hall. (Refer to the previous information regarding Schapiro Hall above.)
PRACTICE ROOM POLICIES
VIOLATION OF THESE POLICIES WILL RESULT IN REVOKED ACCESS
- Do not leave litter or belongings in any practice room when you leave.
- Be alert to safety considerations. If you suspect someone is abusing practice room use, report it to the guard on duty or to CU Public Safety at once, and leave the area. Be especially careful after hours.
- Do not alter, abuse, or otherwise mark any piano. Grand pianos should not be moved any more than necessary, and covers should be left in the closed position when you leave.
- When there is a wait for rooms, please limit your practice time to no more than one hour.
- Report all issues with any practice rooms or pianos to the Music Performance Program (mpp [at] columbia.edu