If you are a current Columbia University student, faculty, staff or affiliate, there are various practice rooms on campus that you may utilize. These rooms are first-come, first-serve:
- (8) in Schapiro Hall (24-hour access; requires CU or CU Affiliate ID card only)
- (3) in the Broadway dorm (closed during quiet hours; requires CU ID card w/dorm sticker)
- (3) in the East Campus dorm (closed during quiet hours; requires CU ID card w/dorm sticker)
Note: Columbia affiliate institutions are Barnard, Teachers College, Union Theological College and Jewish Theological Seminary.
For the Schapiro Hall practice rooms, swipe access is required. To obtain swipe access, please go to go to the Music Office/621 Dodge (Monday thru Friday 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm).
For Broadway & East Campus dorm rooms, a key is required that will open any of those (6) rooms (go to Music Office/621 Dodge, to obtain key). The key for the rooms in Broadway and East Campus requires a $30 cash only deposit, no exceptions. The deposit will be refunded via University reimbursement policies & procedures, which takes approximately 3 weeks after returning the key to 621 Dodge. Because it takes 3 weeks to return the deposit money, we recommend students retain the key for the entirety of their academic career at Columbia University, assuming they are residing on campus in the dorms and have a need to utilize the practice rooms.
Grand Pianos are also available for public use and are located in Lerner Hall, John Jay Lounge, and the GSAS Student Lounge in 301 Philosophy Hall. Grand pianos in East Campus, Wallach and Wein Halls are accessible to CU students with dorm stickers.
Teacher’s College has music practice rooms available to rent by the semester for Columbia University students, faculty & staff who have an active ID. For a fee, users may reserve up to seven hours per week. Each room is equipped with a Steinway 1098 upright piano, armless chairs and a music stand. To rent a practice room, please visit the Music Education office in 520A Horace Mann.
PRACTICE ROOM POLICIES
VIOLATION OF THESE POLICIES WILL RESULT IN REVOKED ACCESS
- Do not leave litter or belongings in any practice room when you leave.
- Be alert to safety considerations. If you suspect someone is abusing practice room use, report it to the guard on duty or to CU Public Safety at once, and leave the area. Be especially careful after hours.
- Do not alter, abuse, or otherwise mark any piano. Grand pianos should not be moved and covers should be left in the closed position when you leave.
- When there is a wait for rooms, please limit your practice time to no more than one hour.
- Report issues with any practice rooms to the Music Performance Program (mpp [at] columbia.edu
) and issues with any pianos to Andras Gipp (ag4307 [at] columbia.edu).