ALL returning students are required to audition in September 2016 for participation in the MPP during 2016-2017 academic year.
- Classical Lessons and Chamber Ensemble Auditions: September 6 & 8
- Jazz Lessons and Ensemble Auditions: September 7 & 9
- Columbia University Orchestra Auditions: September 8, 9, & 10
- World Music Ensembles: Speak with Instructor at first class meeting
- Piano Lesson Interviews: September 6 & 7 (from 10am-2pm in 109/110 Dodge Hall)
*Pianists interested in chamber music MUST audition.
- Instrumentalists should prepare two contrasting pieces or movements from solo repertoire.You will also be asked to demonstrate your sight reading skills.
- Instrumentalists should prepare two jazz standards (a rhythm section will be provided to accompany auditions).
- You will also be asked to demonstrate your sight reading and improvisational skills.Vocalists should prepare two selections to show interpretative abilities (improvisation optional).
- Please provide a clear lead sheet with chord changes for the accompanist (a pianist is provided).
- Short solo of choice. This may be a short piece, or an excerpt of a longer piece. Your chosen piece should be indicative of your ability to move around your instrument, as well as the quality of your sound.
All accepted MPP students must register for lessons and ensembles by the change-of-program period to continue their participation that semester. Petitioning students must notify MPP staff prior to this deadline.
- Fall 2016 semester: Friday September 16
- Spring 2017 semester: Friday January 27