- All jazz instruments
- Classical Percussion
- Harp, organ, classical saxophone, harpsichord (please read ADDITIONAL AUDITIONS)
- Piano (please read CLASSICAL PIANO LESSONS)
- Private instruction and ensembles require only one audition.
- Students interested in both jazz and classical lessons/ensembles will need to audition for both separately.
- Students taking private instruction receive six hours of lessons each semester.
- Students must register and will receive one credit and a pass/fail grade each semester.
- No end-of-semester performance is required.
- There is a $300 per semester lesson fee for all students - the second-lowest rate among our peer institutions. Each student will receive six (6) hours of lessons each semester.
SIGN-UP FOR AN AUDITION
- Auditions for the 2020-2021 year will be live on Zoom, Tuesday, September 8th from 9:00am-1:00pm pm in 5 minute slots, and Thursday September 10th from 12:00-8:00pm in five minute slots. *Please see specific tabs on Audition page to sign up.
- Online audition sign-up will be available in mid AUGUST.
THE DAY OF
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time to fill out the audition form, tune, and organize your scores.
Classical private instruction: two contrasting pieces or movements from solo repertoire.
Jazz private instruction:
- Instrumentalists should prepare two jazz standards (a rhythm section will be provided to accompany auditions).
- You will also be asked to demonstrate your sight reading and improvisational skills.
- Vocalists should prepare two selections to show interpretative abilities (improvisation optional).
- Please provide a clear lead sheet with chord changes for the accompanist (a pianist is provided).
- You will receive an email regarding placement, registration, and instructor information or if we are not able to place you with an instructor or ensemble, you will be notified and may be placed on the wait list.
- If you are placed with an instructor for lessons, you will need to contact your instructor and set up a mutually agreeable time to meet during the semester. Your instructor will help you choose repertoire and establish a daily practice routine.
Participation in the MPP is a year-long commitment. All students re-audition each Fall
(no auditions are held in the Spring semester).
Add to Page: